Friday, July 22, 2011

Does being a mother mean having to make a choice between a career and motherhood? I love being a mother and I also enjoy my work but there is an inordinate amount of guilt that keeps me from enjoying either of these areas of my life. Perhaps that is the lapsed catholic in me, remnants of my past.I know the feelings are not unique to me, my kids are on summer break they dont want to attend summer camps anymore as they are now older. Can't say I blame them, I remember the freedom of owning summer being able to move freely throughout the community of my childhood. I don't remember a schedule full of rules only to be home for supper, not to bother other parents, and be in the house before a certain time.

My mother was home, the choice of working was taken from her due to prolonged medical issues, she worked hard as a mother and she was the anchor that I had attached an invisible tether. She was always there for me it was not until I was in my early 20's before I really appreciated this.

I want my kids to sleep in and be lazy, I want to be their anchor I know I am but the tether is attached to my cell phone plus now there are a lot of rules to go with the schedule.

What do you do?

No comments: